SnapWidget Instagram Photo


Tuesday, February 16, 2016

GENTING HIGHLANDS and KL TRIP

I was thinking of a short holiday trip for so end up I chose Genting Highlands and KL since I haven't been to Genting yet and I miss KL food. I was hoping their theme park renovation could be done soon but I guess it still takes a few years to complete.

Taking the night bus to Genting was terrible! It wasn't because I scared of the darkness or night journey but each time when the driver driving up the slope was quite scary. It was night time, I couldn't see what's on the road clearly and didn't manage to sleep well on the bus. The whole journey took more than 7 hours. We reached Genting around 5AM, still early and we couldn't check in yet. I felt so drained after that.

DAY 1: midnight to morning 

It was raining and we rested at Starbucks while sipping a hot drink. The weather was damn cold and I was freezing!  Even after passing the sunrise time, I still couldn't see the cloud due to the foggy and misty weather.


The temperature was shown 16 °C on the TV board, slightly increase a bit compared to this early morning at 5AM was below 15 °C.


It was still early, nobody was hanging around yet and some shops were not open yet. So I took my time to walk around while taking some photos since it's a good time of photo-taking with nobody would appear in my photo background. At once glance, I was attracted by the watchtower which looks similar to one in London.



The bridge seems a good spot for photo taking and the hotel was surrounded by many pretty shops and buildings. Chatime is a well-known bubble tea store in Malaysia.



Most of the indoor game wasn't fun to play with as it is more suitable for children so I didn't play much on their indoor game.

Haunted House at Genting!





Market Food Street. These are one of the food stores selling desserts and snacks that open quite early.



There was an event happening for kids to play. But I was too bored and since it is open to the public so I took part in the games and YAY! I got a free strawberry ice cream and any 3 toppings that I could choose from.



I heard Genting has a nice dim sum restaurant so I got to try it out.
I had my dim sum brunch at this Restoran Ah Yat Abalone Forum. 




Bird's Nest Egg Tart 
This egg tart was very special because it is a legit bird's nest inside. The crust was crispy and flaky. The bird's nest made me damn tempting. I couldn't resist eating more but I need to save up for other food.


Prawn Dumpling (Har Gao)
The prawn is fresh and the skin was soft enough to eat.


Pork Dumpling ( Siew Mai )
The orange topping on top of the siew mai is not a usual carrot but its a salmon's egg.



Salted Egg Custard Bun ( Liu Sha Bao )
Custard Bun is always my favorite choice of Dim Sum hence I will always include this on my order but the custard bun here was a bit dry and the salted egg wasn't creamy enough



Chicken Feet
The chicken feet was mixed well with their sweet sauce and I was quite like it.


Fried Dumpling 


Ending the awesome brunch with dessert



DAY 1: STRAWBERRY GENTING FARM

I woke up earlier to have the buffet breakfast at First World Hotel before heading off to the strawberry farm.




Besides cab, there are few ways to reach Genting Strawberry Farm. 
We took the FREE shuttle service to Awana Hotel and here's how we reached the farm:

1. From First World Plaza Hotel follow the direction to Genting Sky Train. Once you have reached there, take the sky train to go down to Genting Skyway Lower Station for bus service.


2. Take the Resort World Shuttle bus to Gohtong Jaya bus stop.
3. Stop at the roundabout and walk to Strawberry Park for 5 minutes 


STRAWBERRY FARM



Genting Highlands Strawberry Farm is a popular tourist attraction in Gohtong Jaya. The entire farm was quite big, it is not only for the strawberry farm but it also has a flower farm, vegetable farm, mushroom facilities, cafe, and retail shops.


Self plucking strawberry was my favorite time. I like to spend my time here on picking fresh strawberries.



Real Fresh Strawberry 


Some of the strawberries are still on the process of growing.



Retail Shop.




FLOWER FARM

Though the Flower Garden has limited kinds of flowers and not as excited as Cameron Highlands, I was still happy to get to see the flower garden. I thought the Strawberry farm only have strawberry farms, retail shop, and cafe so I was quite surprised by the flower farm.


Isn't it Lavender? It's my Favorite flower and colour.





MUSHROOM FARM

It is really a big abalone mushroom and some of the mushrooms they have been keeping it for a long period.




Strawberry Cafe 

The only cafe that selling food and drinks from their own farmhouse. 


Since I was here to visit the Strawberry Farm, so my main idea for the food was also everything about STRAWBERRY. The fresh strawberry drink is really damn good. I have never had such a good strawberry drink outside before.



Time to Back to Hotel 

We took the same bus from the bus stop at Gohtong Jaya to go back to the hotel. We reached 20 mins earlier at the bus stop and while nothing to do, I have finished my self plucking strawberry in one short. 

It took one hour plus to reach our hotel as we still need to walk back to the First World Hotel. 
After showering and it's time for dinner. We had our Zhi Char dinner at the Food Court. 
 The food was really good and I was too hungry so I finished most of the food.




DAY 2: TRIP TO KUALA LUMPUR (KL)

It was another cold and rainy day in the morning. We took the cable car down to the bus station that going to KL. It was very foggy and the entire mountain was covered up by the mist.



How to go to Kuala Lumpur From Genting :
We went for economical transport to KL by Bus from Resort World Genting.
There are 3 bus stop stations that you can choose. Each station has a different price.
- Pudu Sentral, KL Sentral Station
- Terminal Putra, LRT Gombak
- One Utama, Petaling Jaya

For more information, refer to the website

We chose to Stop at Pudu Sentral which is the main KL Sentral Station.
The journey took around 3 hours. 

Imbi Market
Imbi Market is one of the MUST - GO place for foodies, located near Bukit Bintang Area, with a
15-minute walking distance. If you are not familiar with the area, you should take a cab. 
The place is quite isolated and has to be careful with pickpockets. 

The market is very squeezy and crowded. The stall starts opening in the early morning at 6.30 am and it closes quite fast around 12 pm -1 pm. We reached nearly 12 PM and some stalls were already closed.


Sister Crispy Popiah 
It wasn't easy to chop seats at Imbi. The tissue paper may not work like in Singapore.
Luckily, we got a seat in front of Sisters Popiah. It was hot as there wasn't a shelter but at least we got the seat.



The queue was quite long and this RM 2.20 popiah is worth trying. Overall the popiah is quite big, crispy, and delicious.



Ah Fook Chee Cheong Fun
Just beside Sister Crispy Popiah, another super long queue was Ah Fook Chee Cheong Fun. They have been in business for 10 years. Be prepared for the long queue and it is self-service. They sell both Yong Tofu and Cheong Fun which you can mix all into 1 serving. This is what makes their food so special. Each piece of Yong Tofu ranges from RM 0.80 - RM 1.50 and you get to choose either boil or fried. The Chee Cheong fun is RM 2 per roll.



I like their sauce and the taste of mixing both Yong Tofu and Chee Chong Fun together in their homemade sweet and chili sauce. The Chee Cheong Fun is quite plain if you eat without the sauce.




Ah Weng Koh Hainan Tea
It is Hainan Drink that people are willing to queue just for a glass of tea. This Hainan tea actually is a blend of coffee, tea, and milk together.

The tea was served in a beautiful thick frothy foam. I also ordered their famous kaya toast which different from Singapore Yakun Style.



Confectionary: Bunn Choon
Freshly baked Egg Tart from the Huge Oven. Besides egg tart, they sell several confectionaries such as BBQ Pork Pie, Almont tart, Kaya Puff,  Salted Egg & Lotus Paste, traditional "wife" biscuits (Lao Po Beng).


The pastry and food run out very fast especially the egg tart. When it was our turn we were almost couldn't get the egg tart as it was only left 5 egg tarts and we took all 5. I felt bad for the person queueing behind us but I am sorry, I hardly come here. I wanted to try the charcoal Egg tart but too bad it was sold out.


The egg tart was quite filling but it wasn't that crispy enough. The egg tart was too thick and quite hard. I was a bit disappointed as I expect it to be soft and crispy or was it because we have been outside for too long?


Although the market was squeezy and hot overall the food is nice and I get to eat their famous food. I definitely will visit Imbi Market Again.

After that, we went to Starbucks to have some Air-Con. I ordered Strawberry Frappuccino and I just realized that it is only available in Malaysia.




DAY 3: BACK TO SINGAPORE 

It was our last day at Genting. Let's have a full buffet breakfast before the long journey of 9 hours to reach Singapore.



I was quite disappointed with the hotel arrangement. We got a room at a new building which wasn't that clean.  I have requested the cleaning service to clean the room as I am quite particular with the cleanliness of the room if I need to stay more than 1 day. I was damn pissed off until I need to make noise and complain. The next day, I request to change the room and they arrange for us at the old building which I feel much better.

While driving back from Genting to Singapore, the bus will stop at a few rest areas for us to go toilet and have some quick bite. There is this rest area with a restaurant named Lucky Garden Restaurant that served a very quick lunch & dinner in 10 minutes.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Celeste, Impressive recommendations I would say… You really cover a lot about Malaysia, especially Genting and Kuala Lumpur and places have good food. Anyway, to add up your hotel list, I would recommend a 3 star hotel near to Bukit Bintang and Pudu Area (also in City Centre), which is Hotel Pudu Plaza. Check the details at http://www.puduplazahotel.com.my . They also have daily shuttle to Bukit Bintang and Ikea Cheras. Now, they have a promo of (starting from) USD 21.50 per room night if you signed up as their member. Have a nice day …

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback :D .. Have a nice day ☺☺